Monday, January 23, 2017

Blog Hijack by Terry's Planes

The blog has been taken over by aircraft today. This WW II instructional video was just to neat and I had to share it.It is a little long at 40 minutes. I watched every minute of it.

Uncrating and Field Assembly of the P-47 Thunderbolt Fighter - 1944

"This truly remarkable step-by-step training film shows how a ground support crew of fifty men could assemble a P-47 fighter in a farm field using nothing more than muscle, unpowered hand tools and pieces of the shipping crate it came in. We're talking nothing more than hammers, wrenches and bicycle pumps. You'll get a unique look at the inner workings of the big Jug as it is bolted together. Then a pilot jumps in and flies it away"


 H/T Emil

6 comments:

  1. That is absolutely fascinating. I continue to be amazed at the painstaking ingenuity employed by our engineers at making something so critical, so ready-to-fight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We really have some great aircraft engineers. Kelly Johnson being the greatest.
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelly_Johnson_(engineer)

      Delete
  2. Now that was neat! Send it to CW - I bet he would love that!!!
    Gotta change your blog name to "Terry's Trains, Planes and Automobiles"! LOL!!!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will keep the name but will continue to go "Off the Rails" occasionally. Remember you suggested that name.
      I sent the link to CW.

      Delete
  3. Great stuff. I look forward to more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, glad you enjoyed, I will continue to go off the rails occasionally when I find something really outstanding. Maybe I should post some of my U-2 photos from the early days.

    ReplyDelete